Is it Possible to Sue for Sexual Abuse in Kentucky?

If you have been sexually abused, justice can be served when your abuser and those responsible for facilitating the abuse are held accountable in criminal court. However, you may not know that you can also take matters into your own hands and file a personal injury claim against them. 

This is much different than the criminal charges they may be facing, and you could feel empowered after having taken this step. Below, we go into further detail about the differences between civil and criminal court in Kentucky so you can better prepare for what’s to come. For personalized help, reach out to Wilt and Associates, PLLC. 

Criminal Charges Your Abuser Could Face

It will be up to the prosecuting attorney to determine whether your abuser and anyone else who may be responsible for the abuse you endured will face criminal charges. 

If the prosecutor elects to move forward with the case, they must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the abuser is guilty of the sexual abuse in order to obtain a conviction. If the abuser is found guilty, they may face jail or prison time, fines, be required to register as a sex offender, and face other consequences. 

Filing a Civil Claim Against Your Abuser

Civil lawsuits are much different from criminal charges. First, you will be responsible (with the help of your lawyer) for filing a civil claim for sexual abuse against the culpable party or parties. 

In your lawsuit, you’ll be seeking full restitution for your suffering rather than criminal penalties. Your lawyer will only need to prove the respondent’s liability based on a preponderance of the evidence. This is a much lower burden of proof than the prosecutor will face in criminal court. 

Contact a Kentucky Sexual Abuse Lawyer

You don’t have to be a victim any longer. By taking the step to contact a Kentucky sexual abuse lawyer, you’ll have taken the first step in regaining control of your life. 

If you would like to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a dedicated attorney at Wilt and Associates, PLLC, you can do so when you call our office at 502-253-9110 or complete the quick contact form provided at the bottom of this page.