Suing for Complications from a Breech Childbirth

Your pregnancy, labor, delivery, and postpartum period should be a wonderful time in your life. But when your healthcare provider’s negligence causes harm to you or your baby, you may have grounds for a birth injury lawsuit. 

A more common reason for filing a birth injury claim is due to complications caused by a breech childbirth. If you suffered complications after giving birth to a baby in the breech position, a medical malpractice lawyer at Wilt and Associates, PLLC, may be able to help you get justice. 

Continue reading to learn more about why breech birth complications can be grounds for a civil claim and how a Kentucky personal injury lawyer can help you go about seeking full compensation for what you’ve been through. 

Trouble with Breech Deliveries

In a normal delivery, the baby is born head first. But in a breech childbirth, the infant is born with either their feet or buttocks presenting first. Breech childbirth can cause severe birth injuries including traumatic brain damage, spinal injuries, nerve damage, and fetal distress. 

You should be able to trust that your healthcare provider is prepared and equipped to handle your labor and delivery—even if your baby is in the breech position. Mishandling of instruments, failure to diagnose, failure to treat, and other medical mistakes could all have prevented the complications of a breech birth had the healthcare providers in question upheld their medical duty of care. 

The medical standard of care refers to the level of care a medical professional has to their patients. If another healthcare provider of similar training, education, and experience would not have made the same mistake or decision that yours did, the duty of care may have been breached and you may have grounds for a lawsuit against them. 

How to Sue for Breech Childbirth Injuries

In order to sue for the injuries you sustained after giving birth to a breech-positioned baby, your lawyer at Wilt and Associates, PLLC, will need to show the medical standard of care has been breached. There are many ways this could have happened, but your lawyer will need to gather the evidence needed to support your case. 

From there, we’ll likely file a claim with the insurance company providing malpractice insurance to the liable party. If the insurer is unable to settle your claim fairly, or if the amount of coverage they are obligated to settle for is less than the value of your claim you may need to be prepared to go to court if you hope to maximize your injury settlement. 

Contact a Birth Injury Lawyer

If you gave birth to a breech baby and suffered complications that harmed you or your baby, you may be entitled to financial compensation. An experienced birth injury lawyer at Wilt and Associates, PLLC, could help you get the justice you deserve. 

Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation when you call 502-253-9110 or fill out the online contact form below so we can get started on your case.