Kentucky Sexual Abuse Attorneys
Legal help in Lexington and Louisville for survivors of sexual assault
Sexual abuse can have a devastating and traumatic impact on a victim’s life. In addition to the physical and psychological damage they experience, the financial losses from medical care, mental health counseling, and other monetary damages can make matters far worse. After a sexual assault, you have the right to take action against your abuser – and anyone else who may have facilitated the abuse you endured – by reaching out to a dedicated Kentucky sexual abuse lawyer.
The legal professionals at Wilt & Associates, PLLC are committed to securing justice for survivors of sexual abuse and assault across the state of Kentucky. When we take your case, you can be sure we work diligently to bring your abuser to justice and secure full compensation for the harm they inflicted upon you. Not only that, we also hold the property owner or parties who failed to keep you safe accountable as well. Contact us in Lexington or Louisville today.
How can we help today?
- Why should I sue for my Kentucky sexual assault?
- Who is liable for my Kentucky sexual assault?
- What are the signs someone has been sexually abused?
- How can a Kentucky sexual abuse lawyer help my case?
- What is the value of my Kentucky sexual assault claim?
- Do you have a sexual abuse and assault attorney near me?
Why should I sue for my Kentucky sexual assault?
It may come as a surprise to learn that you have the right to seek compensation from your abuser and anyone who may be responsible for the sexual abuse you endured. Filing a civil lawsuit is a great way to obtain compensation for your financial, physical, and emotional losses. But more than that, it is an opportunity for you to take back control of your life. You may feel empowered when holding your abuser accountable for their abuse to the fullest extent of the law.
It is important to keep in mind that civil lawsuits are much different from criminal lawsuits. You will work closely with your Kentucky sexual abuse lawyer at Wilt & Associates to pursue the civil claim seeking restitution for your suffering. In a criminal case, the state’s prosecuting attorney must file criminal charges, which would then likely seek criminal penalties such as jail or prison time, fines, registration as a sex offender, and other consequences.
Pursuing a civil case against your abuser and those responsible for the abuse you endured is far different than bringing criminal charges against them. First, if criminal charges are filed, the prosecuting attorney will do so. In a civil claim, though, you and your attorney file the claim.
Criminal charges rely on jail or prison time, fines, or other criminal penalties; civil lawsuit seeks compensation for the various ways your life has been impacted by the abuse.
Finally, the burden of proof in criminal court is much different than civil court. In criminal court, the prosecutor must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil court, your Kentucky personal injury attorney will need only prove liability based on a preponderance of the evidence.
Who is liable for my Kentucky sexual assault?
When taking legal action for sexual abuse, there may be more than one liable party. The first and most obvious party is the person who committed the abuse. However, if the assault happened on someone else’s property, that party may be responsible as well under Kentucky premises liability law. These parties can include:
- Businesses. Whether retail, professional, or entertainment, businesses are required to maintain safe premises for their visitors and customers. If a business knows (or should know) about the risk of sexual abuse or assault on their property but fails to mitigate the risk through added security measures, you may be able to hold them liable.
- Landlords. Owners who lease or rent also have a duty to keep their property safe for those who have the right to be there, like tenants and guests. If they fail in that duty, they can be held responsible for sexual assaults that happen on their property.
- School administrators. Schools and universities can also be held liable for sexual abuse and assaults when the campus isn’t safe. Administrators should be held accountable when they fail to protect students, visitors, and staff from attacks.
Other liable parties can include hotels and motels, bars and clubs, casinos, and other properties.
What are the signs someone has been sexually abused?
If you are the family member or friend of someone you suspect is being abused, there are a number of signs to be aware of, including:
- Weight loss or gain
- Substance abuse
- Social isolation
- Unexplained bruising
- Mood swings
If you suspect that a friend or loved one has been sexually abused, you may need to discuss your concerns with your loved one gently. Let them know that you are there for them. In some cases, it may be best to include a professional therapist or counselor for help during these difficult and sensitive discussions. We also suggest the National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673 or taking advantage of the resources at RAINN.org.
Our Kentucky sexual abuse attorneys can help you or your loved one with the next legal steps in a comfortable and compassionate manner.
How can a Kentucky sexual abuse lawyer help my case?
The attorneys at Wilt & Associates will identify all responsible parties in your claim, including your abuser and those who failed to keep you safe. To hold all the right people accountable, we launch an investigation and gather as much evidence as possible to show the actions – and inactions – that caused your attack, injuries, and losses. We work to collect:
- Witness testimony, both from the incident and to show that the property was already unsafe
- Any available security camera or other footage relevant to your case
- Past complaints or incidents relevant to your assault
- Medical documents and reports showing your injuries, including psychological treatment
What is the value of my Kentucky sexual assault claim?
We understand that sexual abuse and assault is life-changing and cannot be undone. However, we can help you seek both justice and the financial compensation you deserve to help make up for some of these losses. Our legal team fights to secure compensation including:
- Medical bills
- Wage loss
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
Do you have a sexual abuse and assault attorney near me?
Wilt & Associates has offices in Louisville and Lexington:
If you are too injured or ill to travel to us, we can arrange a phone or video conference. We also make hospital visits when necessary.
Talk to our dedicated Louisville and Lexington sexual abuse lawyers
If you would like the opportunity to take back control of your life and hold your abuser and all responsible parties accountable for what happened to you, reach out to a compassionate Kentucky sexual abuse lawyer Wilt & Associates to discuss the individual details of your case. Please call 502-253-9110 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation. We maintain offices in Lexington and Louisville, and proudly serve clients throughout Kentucky.