Hit by a Car While Walking: Can I Sue?

If you were minding your own business walking when you were suddenly struck by a car, you may be wondering what you can do to ensure the liable party pays for what they’ve done to you. 

Fortunately, you may be able to file a car accident claim against them and recover full compensation for your suffering. Read on to learn more about who could be responsible for your injuries, how a car accident lawyer at Wilt and Associates, PLLC, could help you, and what will happen if you are partially at fault for your injuries.

Culpability for Pedestrian Accidents in Kentucky

In most cases, it is safe to assume the driver of the vehicle that struck you is responsible for the injuries you sustained in the accident. However, this may not always be the case. 

If a part of the vehicle malfunctioned in some way, or if the roads themselves were hazardous in some way, then automakers or even the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet could be responsible for compensating you. Your lawyer must thoroughly investigate to determine who is liable for your pedestrian accident injuries. 

Shared Fault in Kentucky Pedestrian Accidents

Kentucky is a pure comparative negligence state, which is great news for individuals who are seriously injured in a pedestrian accident. This means that even if you are partially responsible for your injuries, you can still be awarded compensation for your losses. 

It is important to note though, that you will be held accountable for your portion of fault. This happens by reducing the amount of your total award in proportion to your percentage of fault.

So if you were 10 percent liable, you could expect your award to be reduced by 10 percent. Your car accident lawyer at Wilt & Associates, PLLC, will ensure that you are only assigned your fair share of fault. 

Meet With a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Kentucky

When you are ready to get started on your case, reach out to a qualified Kentucky pedestrian accident lawyer at Wilt and Associates, PLLC, to further discuss the details of your case. You can give our office a call at 502-253-9110 or submit the quick contact form below to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.